Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Day of Reflection and Missing you Dad by C.H. Admirand

I have no idea where the time goes, but November's almost gone. Today is a day of reflection for me, hard to believe but it's been 14 years since my Dad died. 

It was on a beautiful day just like today--bright sun, brilliant blue sky--but warmer. My sisters and I had stayed in the hospital overnight because we just knew his time was almost up and we didn't want him to be alone in the hospital. The nurse shooed us out of the room for coffee and when we got back he was gone.  

Here we were trying to make sure he wasn't alone, and he was probably thinking thank God we finally left so he could go in peace--his own way.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him and the impact he had on my life. He instilled my love for reading and music in my life...and for those gifts I'll always be grateful.

Here is a pic my sister took of him in 1987. Wow! I just realized that he's my age in this pic! It's a great one :)
 



And here's one I took of him and mom on our front porch in 1982...and another mind-boggling moment...he's 5 years younger than I am right now in this pic...also a great one :)


 

Our kids grew up listening to the special music tapes he made for us back in the 80s, compilations of some of my favorite songs over the years that I'd heard at home and on the radio. I've only had one of those tapes self-destruct from too many playings. 

Thank you for the gift of song and the love of the written word...I miss you, Dad.



6 comments:

  1. I lost my dad 3 1/2 years ago. I still pick up the phone every once in a while to call and tell him something. Isn't it wonderful to have had such an amazing influence in our lives? Thank you for sharing your love for your dad with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Marianne. I know exactly how you feel. I wish he could be here to meet his great-grandson--he'd love the fact that Jack loves music as much as my Dad did.

      Delete
  2. My dad was the holiday chef. He made Thanksgiving dinner while my mom sat and read the paper. I have a picture of him carving a turkey. Classic pose! He's been gone 28 years and missed every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's really neat, Mary Jo. :) In our house it was the other way around, but my brother does all the cooking in his house--turkey, too...just like your dad :) I'll bet you love that pic of him carving the bird! There are days when I still want to call my grandmother up...she's been gone 25 years this year. I guess the need to talk to the ones we love never goes away, does it? I think that's why I dream about Dad and other relatives that have gone before.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Tribute. My dad waited for me to make the long 8 hour journey so that I could say goodbye. He clung to every breath. When my mom told him I was there, his breathing eased. I still feel guilty about that...but he needed to see his girl before taking is last breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, RoseAnn...you shouldn't feel guilty about your dad waiting for you. He needed to see you and was worried about you. My grandfather waited for my one uncle to arrive...it took two days for him to get there. He was the last of my aunts and uncles to arrive. Once he talked to him, my grandfather slipped away quietly.

      Delete